The Tudors: Season 3, Episode 1

This is a weekly discussion of The Tudors.  SPOILERS below!

Since I’ve been having so much fun doing my weekly LOST discussion, I decided to extend it to The Tudors!  I picked the picture above because it cracks me up – it looks like it’s straight out of the Matrix or something.  Anyways, onto the discussion.

Well, Henry has finally turned into a completely horrible person.  I think his belief that Anne betrayed him, after we found out that he really did love her, pushed him over the edge.  My question is, is he really naive enough to believe that Anne was THAT unfaithful to him (one man I can understand – but that many, including her brother?  Ugh!)  Doesn’t he know by now that if he wants someone out of the way, his cronies will find a way to get him or her out of the way?

We finally saw Henry VIII’s injury today, the one that’s supposed to have already made him start putting on weight because he can’t exercise.  Obviously they aren’t going to make Jonathan Rhys-Meyers gain a bunch of weight, but his injury also made him a very unpleasant person to be around, so that’s probably going to show through more this season.

The only thing I could think when Henry sent Charles Brandon off to deal with the rebels was “please don’t kill him off!”  Brandon is definitely my favorite character, and I feel like he’s the only one who can temper Henry and make him see reason at this point.

I’m not sure what to think of Sir Francis.  They always introduce new characters in the season premieres, but the verdict is still out on him.  I think I’ll like him though.

I’m glad that Princess Mary signed the document declaring herself a bastard.  I hope she comes back to court soon, she’ll add a lot to the series with Anne gone.  I find myself missing Anne – she really grew on me by the end.

It seems that Henry is only interested in Jane Seymour for two things – her pretty face and her ability to have sons.  Every time she opens her mouth, he slaps her down with his “why aren’t you pregnant?” talk.  My guess is that he doesn’t want a smart queen after Anne, he just wants someone who will sit there quietly and have his children.  Still, I feel really sorry for Jane.  She really is trying her best to be an advocate for women in the court and Henry won’t give her the time of day.  Maybe he’ll pay more attention to her once she gets pregnant, which we know will happen soon.  (Incidentally, did anyone else notice that they changed the Jane Seymour actress from last season to this season?  I heard it was because the old actress wouldn’t do nude scenes.  Umm, hello, have you SEEN this show?)

I wonder if we’re seeing the beginning of the downfall of Cromwell with this rebellion.  Yes, I know Henry just knighted him, but Henry is obviously NOT HAPPY with what’s going on in the countryside.  He obviously blames Cromwell, and unless it gets fixed quickly, I feel like we’ll be saying goodbye to Cromwell this season.

Well, I think that’s everything!  It was a great episode and I think we’re in for a good season!

Comments

1. First, this is a great pic and I love this series.
    I watched the the first 2 seasons and couldn’t wait for season 3.
    I hope they cover Henri VIII all the way to the end of his life. And perhaps the begining of the reign of his 2 daughters Elisabeth and Mary. It is so well done.
    When Anne Boleyn was beheaded I was actually sad. She was just to smart for Henri VIII

2. First, this is a great pic and I love this series.
    I watched the the first 2 seasons and couldn’t wait for season 3.

3. Ahhh I wish I could watch and come back and comment every week! I figured it would be safe to read this one since I have seen the first two seasons! In the preview I saw, the show looks so much darker and serious. I think I liked Season 1 the best, I miss Anne too! And wow, they changed the actress! That’s stupid, they should have figured it all out in the first place instead of switching part way through!

4. Ahhh I wish I could watch and come back and comment every week! I figured it would be safe to read this one since I have seen the first two seasons! In the preview I saw, the show looks so much darker and serious. I think I liked Season 1 the best, I miss Anne too! And wow, they changed the actress! That’s stupid, they should have figured it all out in the first place instead of switching part way through!

5. OMG, I’m ridiculously obsessed with this show. I did notice that the changed the actress playing Jane, but actually like this woman better! She seems more mature — and less like a child. It kind of skeeved me out that Henry was intrigued by someone who looked so adolescent.

I feel terrible for Princess Mary! I actually had tears in my eyes after she signed the document and Henry & Jane came to visit her. When Henry kissed her and told her to call him “father”?! Wow. Good stuff.

And Henry has definitely turned into a complete jerk — not that I’m surprised! When he and Jane are having dinner and he tells her he’s “disappointed” — because she’s not yet pregnant. Thank God I wasn’t around in the 1500s… that wouldn’t quite fly with me! :)

Great synopsis… can’t wait for next week!

6. OMG, I’m ridiculously obsessed with this show. I did notice that the changed the actress playing Jane, but actually like this woman better! She seems more mature — and less like a child. It kind of skeeved me out that Henry was intrigued by someone who looked so adolescent.

Great synopsis… can’t wait for next week!

7. Anonymous says:

I absolutely love this show, even though it’s not exactly historically correct.

BTW: No worries about Charles Brandon! The Duke of Suffolk outlived King Henry VIII and remained his closest friend throughout his rein.

8. Anonymous says:

I absolutely love this show, even though it’s not exactly historically correct.

9. This is a really funny recap. Have you seen the recaps on Pop Tudors? Also very enjoyable.

10. This is a really funny recap. Have you seen the recaps on Pop Tudors? Also very enjoyable.

11. lyndsey says:

Interesting take. I see Henry as being more ruthless and tyranical in the first episode. It should get worse as the story unfolds. Anne is a strange way held him in check. Once he got rid of Anne there is no lines that he cannot cross, no morals that apply to him any longer. He literally got by with a murder of a queen and deep down he knows it. And he got by with it twice…so he knows he’ll be able to do it again and again.

His wound was nasty, however I’ve read that his madness of the later years came from siphylis. And I’m kind of inclined to believe that.

Yes, I noticed that Jane was being played by a new actress. Although we know very little about Jane and in a strange way it seems like she has picked up the issues that Anne was known for. She was though a peacemaker who wanted all of Henry’s children at court. (probably safer that way…Mary if not forgive and at court would have become a rallying point for the rebels and would have been evantually executed. And yes, in his later years, I think Henry would have executed his own daughters to further his political ambitions.

We are seeing the beginning of Norfolk’s power waning. If I remember correctly he was executed for the Anne of Cleves fiasco.

Just my thoughts

12. lyndsey says:

Just my thoughts

13. Anonymous says:

Actually Cromwell was executed after the Anne of Cleves fiasco, not Norfolk.

14. Anonymous says:

Actually Cromwell was executed after the Anne of Cleves fiasco, not Norfolk.

15. That photo is hilarious! And I did notice that it was new Jane, but I didn’t know that it was because of nudity. Ummmmm, didn’t she watch the other seasons?

I miss Anne too, and I think having Mary around will be good.

I doubt that they will make this Henry fat, but I’m glad his sore is going to part of the show — it was a part of the real Henry VIII after all.

I though Henry was supposed to love Jane — after her, I think he gave up on love altogether.

The Seymours and the Boleyns were known to be rivals, I wonder how much of Jane’s family we’ll get to see, I liked the scenes of Anne with her family.

16. That photo is hilarious! And I did notice that it was new Jane, but I didn’t know that it was because of nudity. Ummmmm, didn’t she watch the other seasons?

I miss Anne too, and I think having Mary around will be good.

17. Anonymous says:

I love this series, I actually dream that I am a part of it…I know, that’s just a little crazy but I can’t help it…..
    I too miss Anne and do believe that she kept him in line to some degree and if you read history, their affair went on for years before they were ever married, but I do believe that although she lept him in line, she was also part of the blame for this monster of a man that was created..When she pushed for him, to have complete control and to become the head of the church, she made him all powerful and as we all know powerful men lose the ability to see when they are wrong..
    I find Jane Seymour, so completely different from Anne, Jane seems, sweet, innocent and naive…There was a raw danger and passion with Anne, but with Jane, she seems too innocent to keep his attention for long….But of course none of them kept his attention for long…But in history, she was the one he seen as his true wife because she gave him a son and he was buried next to her when he died…

18. Anonymous says:

19. I thought Jane was different! I was wondering why I didn’t recognize her.

I find that the craziest characters on this show are my favorite. I love Henry, and I loved Anne. Right now, Jane seems a little boring, but I can see the potential there.

20. I thought Jane was different! I was wondering why I didn’t recognize her.

21. I didn’t want to comment until now because I hadn’t had a chance to watch the season premier. Now I’m all caught up (AND I watched episode 2 with OnDemand). I’ll be looking forward to your recaps each week!

22. I didn’t want to comment until now because I hadn’t had a chance to watch the season premier. Now I’m all caught up (AND I watched episode 2 with OnDemand). I’ll be looking forward to your recaps each week!

23. My first thought after seeing this episode was, “Wow, I don’t think I’m going to like Henry anymore.” Definitely a darker, more controlling glimpse of character this season. I liked the first two seasons because although he was cruel in some scenes there were others that showed he had other emotions. His outburst when Thomas Moore was excuted was brilliant. You could feel the sorrow he felt over ordering that execution.

I’m not sure I like this Jane better. She is definitely different than the actress from last season. It is difficult to grasp how during the last couple of episodes of season 2, Henry was enamored with her and now is so indifferent.

All in all, I really am addicted to the show and hope they continue throughout Henry’s reign. If JRM doesn’t fit the fat Henry of later years, I can see a replacement with say, Rob Reiner.

24. My first thought after seeing this episode was, “Wow, I don’t think I’m going to like Henry anymore.” Definitely a darker, more controlling glimpse of character this season. I liked the first two seasons because although he was cruel in some scenes there were others that showed he had other emotions. His outburst when Thomas Moore was excuted was brilliant. You could feel the sorrow he felt over ordering that execution.

25. Anonymous says:

Love the show as well. I’m also addicted to it. Bought Season 1 and 2 on DVD. Season 3 seems like it will be quite a ride. Henry becoming increasingly darker and dangerous will keep everyone on their toes. Not sure what I think about the new Jane Seymour. I don’t like it when they replace actors. Messes with the continuity.

I also miss Anne. She was fabulous. I also really liked Queen Katherine. She did a great job portraying what it would be like for a woman to be displaced by a new, younger wife.

Can’t wait to see Joss Stone as Anne of Cleaves.

26. Anonymous says:

Can’t wait to see Joss Stone as Anne of Cleaves.

27. Anonymous says:

Excuse me, but I’ve been working and missed something: “What happened to Henry’s leg?” Did he fall off of his Horse or something? What?

Thanks,

Alarcaddemca,
    a fan

28. Anonymous says:

Thanks,

Alarcaddemca,
    a fan

29. @alaradeemca – I believe the leg injury is from the jousting accident last season.

30. @alaradeemca – I believe the leg injury is from the jousting accident last season.

31. Anonymous says:

How do I get an answer back? I am Alarcaddemca and my email address is

Alarcaddemca@yahoo.com

I want to know what happened to Henry’s leg?

Thanks.

32. Anonymous says:

How do I get an answer back? I am Alarcaddemca and my email address is

Alarcaddemca@yahoo.com

I want to know what happened to Henry’s leg?

Thanks.

33. Anonymous says:

Wow! Really.

Thanks for the quick response S.Krishna.

Tudors to you.

34. Anonymous says:

Wow! Really.

Thanks for the quick response S.Krishna.

Tudors to you.

35. Anonymous says:

I agree that Henry has turned into a complete jerk.
    I was wondering about the addition of Max von Sydow playing the Pope.
    Do you know if this is the same Pope originally played by Peter O’Toole, and if so, why isn’t O’Toole playing him this season?
    They are both terrific actors though!
    Marti

36. Anonymous says:

I agree that Henry has turned into a complete jerk.
    I was wondering about the addition of Max von Sydow playing the Pope.
    They are both terrific actors though!
    Marti

37. Anonymous says:

I love this site! :-)
    I’ve had another question, which I’ve wondered about:
    The real Henry VIII was known to have red hair, as one can see in the Hans Holbein portraits.
    It would be a simple thing for Henry in the series to have red hair too.
    I wonder why they didn’t give him red hair……
    Mary had red hair as well in real life, and she doesn’t here either.
    But at least they’ve given the young Elizabeth red hair. :-)
    Marti

38. Anonymous says:

I love this site! :-)
    I’ve had another question, which I’ve wondered about:
    It would be a simple thing for Henry in the series to have red hair too.
    I wonder why they didn’t give him red hair……
    Mary had red hair as well in real life, and she doesn’t here either.
    But at least they’ve given the young Elizabeth red hair. :-)
    Marti

39. Great question, I’m guessing that they just didn’t care about the whole red hair thing. The show isn’t exactly 100% historically accurate, and I would think that Jonathan Rhys-Meyers didn’t want to dye his hair!

40. Great question, I’m guessing that they just didn’t care about the whole red hair thing. The show isn’t exactly 100% historically accurate, and I would think that Jonathan Rhys-Meyers didn’t want to dye his hair!