Looking over my 2009 goals, I feel like I did a pretty good job fulfilling them! However, this year my goals are going to be very different.
This year, it’s not about numbers. Yes, I still plan to read a lot – I love reading, and I naturally read quickly. I have set a goal of 350 books in 2010, but if I don’t reach it, I honestly don’t care. Instead, I want to focus on the types of books I read. I’m not going to join any challenges competing with others on the number of books or pages I’ve read (even for fun, like I did in 2009) – it’s going to be about reading deliberately this year. Numbers don’t matter!
- Read more literary fiction: When looking through the books I consider my top of 2009 (not necessarily my 5 star rated books, but the ones that have stuck with me for months after reading them), it’s literary fiction like Never Let Me Go, The Little Stranger and The Help that really stand out. I want to read more of these!
- Read more of my own books/library books: I want at least 1/3 (preferably 1/2) of the books I read in 2010 to be non-review copies.
- Read more mysteries: I’ve been reading a lot more mysteries in the latter half of 2009 – I want to continue that trend!
- Read more ebooks: I’ve had a Sony PRS-505 for a long time, and upgraded to the Sony Reader Touch for Christmas (thanks Mom & Dad!) I used to only use my Reader when I was traveling, but I want to start using it a lot more at home!
- Blog/life balance: I want to make sure I keep blogging and reading fun, rather than turning it into a job. If I want to take a break, or don’t feel like reading, that needs to be okay. I’m not going to let my blog make me feel guilty!
- Selectively accept review copies: I’ve become very selective about the review copies I’ve been accepting, and I want to continue that. If it doesn’t appeal to me, I don’t want to review it!
- Two of my goals in 2009 were to read more non-fiction and to read more longer books. I’m really happy with my progress on this goal in 2009, and I want to continue at this level in 2010.